Saturday 21 March 2015

GAY Matter


The time was NOT 17:59, but it was a time to be with friends. I had just finished my exams, and I knew my brain needed some time, some place to just...chill, cool off and bask in some non-academic activities while I wait for  the results of the exams to be released.
So I went to a friend's place to spend some time. I never seemed to have time to spend with my friends as I often as i wished I could...so I decided to utilize this chance.

There were other guys at THE LOCATION, 7 of 'em precisely...indulging in several chilling activities - playing video games, watching movies, transferring files (videos, songs, photos) between mobile phones and computers.etc.
There were also some gut work-out in the building with a variety of foods present - fries (yam and plantain) and mishai. 2 other guys later joined in the communion with some suya which they had bought from the aboki suya seller just across the road on their way to the Location. When the boys were settled, we all dug in. The foods were then washed down with some pure cold water, Coke & ORijin.

I bet The Hausa men downstairs - the mishai makers and suya roasters must be wishing that this kind of meeting happens frequently, cos they really really sold a lot that night....courtesy, The League Of Xtraordinary Eaters US.....but I digress***

Remember I said there were a lot of activities, well that didn't prevent us from gisting talking and making jokes about things - ourselves, other people, the school system, exams, malignant lecturers, demanding assignments, religion, politics, girls, movies etc.
'twas a blast...so much of a blast that I decided to point out what a blast this meeting was.
But I didn't want to comment using an ordinary/ everyday statement. I thought I'd spice up the place with a little controversy, and so I (knowing what this could cause) said something like (can't remember my exact words) :
"This is one of my gay-est moments ever" ***i laughed***

At that point, there was a momentary silence in Heaven. All Eyes fell on me, the games were paused, the movie stopped, the eating halted, the once noisy and lively room suddenly went into a state of transient deafening silence. It was like I said something forbidden...or tabooic. The silence was so deafening that one could hear audibly the heartbeat of the flying mosquitoes (i didn't really hear their heartbeats because the noisy fans were still rotating).
Activities later resumed...and as it did, One the guys said (and I paraphrase):
"Who and who dey do gay things for here nah" ***we all laughed***

At that point I realized that many are (still) ignorant of the fact that gay does not always mean GAY. They cannot really be blamed because our society/ the media seems to make us think otherwise. I, myself was caught in that web (of thinking) until i was liberated a few nights before by a book i read...hallelujah!!!. And ever since, i sought an ocassion to exercise my liberation....and that was my moment!!!


The word, "GAY" according to thefreedictionary (as an adjective) could mean:


adj. gay·er , gay·est
1. Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
2. Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement;
merry.
3. Bright or lively, especially in color: a gay, sunny room.
4. Offensive Slang Socially inappropriate or foolish.
5. Given to social pleasures, especially at the expense of serious pursuits:
"You know she is gay, and wild, loves company and mirth, and that it was her
impatience of restraint in these things, that made the breach between her and her
father" (Daniel Defoe).
6. Dissolute or licentious: "He and his wife led a gay life. He made money fast,
and she spent it faster. Eventually, both were broken physically" (Robert
Coleman).


Victory 'No Homo' Anosike.

3 comments:

  1. Anosike, you really funny. for a moment, my mind went to the first definition o.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some gay men who will go for straight men and enjoys the challenge in some way, but in my experience gay men are mostly attracted to other gay men.gay cams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great write-up, I am a big believer in commenting on blogs to inform the blog writers know that they’ve added something worthwhile to the world wide web!. nuttyscents.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...